Tuesday, December 25, 2012

The end of the world as we know it...

Well the world may not have ended, but my life has been a roller-coaster lately. Coming into winter break I was really struggling to find the motivation to ride, even when I was riding outside I had a hard time focusing on my workouts. On top of this I was ending one of my worst semesters in college, and the idea of spending the upcoming holiday at my empty apartment was not terribly exciting. Cue the pity party.

My motivation hit rock bottom this past Friday afternoon. After a mere twenty minutes on the rollers I gave up and headed over to my parents' where I was greeted by the news that dad was facing a medical problem that could seriously restrict racing for the rest of his life, and oh by the way Mom fell and cracked her ribs. I spent most of that evening bouncing between parents and taking notes during appointments. It was hard to be in the room when my dad got the news about how everything would affect his racing career.

Fast forward to Christmas Eve, due to a cliff diving accident we ended up driving up to Indianapolis to spend Christmas Eve there with my brother. As we said grace I realized how luck my family is that we were all together and relatively healthy. It put my lack of motivation in perspective. I don't ever want to find myself in my Dad's shoes, but if I ever do I want to have no regrets, like him. I've had to take some time off to be with my family, but I am very much looking forward to refocusing my efforts over the next few days.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment