Sunday, May 19, 2013

Velodrome and Coaching


The past few weeks and weekends have been a small break from racing before summer racing kicks into full gear, as well as providing some much needed recovery. I went into the doctor’s last week due to a lingering cough from the bronchitis in my lungs, and that seems to be coming around though my heart rate still doesn’t quite match my power output.

Off the bike I wrapped up with one job and started at a new one (as well as continuing to work at the two others), started a new summer class, celebrated my birthday and started dog sitting an amazing puppy named Luxa.

On the bike I have been using the break the past few weeks to become acquainted with the Major Taylor Velodrome. My freshman year on Wing It, Tom S. suggested I try track racing, but things never seemed to work out. However with dog sitting this summer I may not be able to travel as much for racing so the velodrome seemed like a good compromise so the Saturday after nationals I headed up for Track 101.

I truly had a blast, for me it was much more fun than going in circles on the Little 500 track, and it has been a nice break from the Bloomington cycling community (as much as I love it). So far I have taken a few of the Beyond Track 101 classes as well as participating in the training sessions on the track. Hopefully I can upgrade by the end of the summer and get pummeled into a pulp by the elite riders in the area.

My first track race was this past Thursday and I won my first two races (granted, it was the entry level group). That aside it was very low pressure and a very controlled, constructive environment something that provided a mental break from the way road racing has become. My teammate Emma is up in Indy and racing Thursday nights as well so it also provides a chance to catch up and talk about upcoming road races that are on our team schedules. Long-term I think it will help with the mental side of cycling as far as the cat and mouse and strategy portions, something I need help with. Shorterm however, it is providing some fun and a change of scene as well as a good reason to spend time in Indy, visit friends and go to the Whole Foods up there.

This past weekend has also been a bit outside of my normal training. I have been working as part of the coaching and ride leadership for a team and camp in from Ann Arbor, Michigan. It has provided a unique opportunity to put my coaching license to work doing something that I already do on a regular basis with the women on my Little 500 team, and get paid doing it. Overall it has been quite the experience working with everyone from competitive athletes to juniors just getting started as well as folks who just wanted to experience Bloomington riding.

The eclectic mix of people has made for some interesting situations as well as this constant feeling that I was herding cats, however I learned a lot, even from the riders who were just starting out. Coming from Michigan many were nervous about the hills, something that at first confused the crap out of me. However the more I thought about it the more I realized that they were going through the same thing I went through when I was in Tennessee and Utah and dealing with the mountains for the first time. For someone from Michigan, Firehouse is a mountain. Going downhill and hitting speeds over 40 miles an hour can be terrifying for someone who rarely goes downhill for more than 30 seconds, and never at speeds quite that high.

Anyways, it’s been a nice few weekends off but I am anxious to get back to racing my bike. Next up on my race schedule is the Snake Alley/ Melon City/ Quad Cities weekend, followed by Glencoe.

No comments:

Post a Comment