Saturday, July 27, 2013

Wrap It Up

Well, my road season came to a close rather quietly over the last week. Originally I had been intending to do the Bloomington Criterium and New Albany but I came out of Prairie State exhausted. The last four days of NCC races were mentally and physically challenging, I'm glad I did it and I finished in the top half of the field for the series but it was clear that I needed a break.

At the beginning of this summer I had been intending to race through August and I still may do a few races, but early in July I began the process of switching schools. I finished this last year at IU on the dean's list for my graduate program and facing just one last year to complete my Masters of Science in Environmental Science. In the background of all of this was the growing realization that I did not want to work in that field. As an undergraduate your degree field does not really matter in the grand scheme of things, but your graduate degree needs to be in the field you intend to work in. With this in mind I began to look at schools with programs in Sports Marketing, and was lucky enough to stumble across an opportunity at Lindenwood due to some help from fellow collegiate cyclists. I will be starting either the MBA program or the MA in Sports Management program this fall as well as riding for their collegiate cycling team.

After leaving Chicago I headed down to St. Louis, spending the early part of this last week looking at apartments, meeting up with teammates and nailing down my plans. Because of the move my summer is significantly shortened, especially with me heading to Tennessee this next week, then coming back and getting my wisdom teeth pulled right before moving out to St. Charles. Not a lot of time is left in between moves, resulting in a shortened race schedule.

So, I have been looking back at this season and it has been quite the ride. The collegiate season, especially with getting sick at nationals, was rough. New experiences and my first time having to race against large teams would lead to a steep learning curve at the beginning, though I did manage top ten finishes both days of regionals. Coming out of nationals in May I was glad to have such a successful first race with the win at Snake Alley in the 2/3's field, my first win at the Category 3 level and the first of three wins this summer where I would ride away from the field (I need to learn how to sprint). More exciting results would follow at Tulsa Tough, Madeira (the win and every prime, teamwork at its finest), and South Bend, though the wreck at Grandview still has lingering consequences (stiff muscles and having to finish the season on my old aluminum frame).

My upgrade to category 2 would follow in time for amateur road nationals (one of the most embarrassing races of my life) as well as the Prairie State Series, where a flyer for a 6th place finish would be the highlight of the week though every day on the bike was a huge learning experience with my first set of big Pro/1/2 races. The racing season for the year is far from over, with both collegiate track and the cyclocross season ahead of me, as well as the possibility of doing Gateway Cup out in St. Louis. However, I am happy with where I am and with how my third season of racing has ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment