Sunday, June 15, 2014

Ten Lessons From Colorado

One thousand miles stand between my townhome in Colorado Springs and the quiet cul-de-sac that I grew up on. Most days it seems farther though, something to do with the mountains I suppose, or perhaps it has more to do with how different I am from the person that grew up in the corner bedroom with the blue walls and overflowing bookshelves.

With nine years between my brother and I, I was always the baby of the family. I am not sure if this led to my odd mix of complete stubbornness and complete inability to make up my mind sometimes but I suspect it had something to do with it. Boarding school, working in an underwater science laboratory, the Lindenwood cycling team, skeet shooting and digging for crayfish all made for a rather odd life map. I am fairly certain that my resume would cause major question marks and blank stares in the corporate world.

My brother was the guy with the plan who knew exactly what he wanted and I always admired him for that. I was the one who went from environmental science, to business school; from finishing a Masters of Science to working on an MBA, and yet looking back it all fit perfectly together to get me here. Colorado has changed me a lot in the last few months. I will not say I have learned to listen because I still talk more than I should (duct tape was the family joke), but I have learned a fair bit and most of it has been due to listening.

1. Sometimes things work out perfectly; sometimes you have to fight to make something work out. If it works out, it is meant to be.

2. Time is precious. Spend it on something you are passionate about; jobs are not excluded from this.

3. Never underestimate the capacity of something to survive.

4. Not enough people stop to listen to the silence.

5. Even in the worst of storms you can probably still see the sun somewhere.

6. It is okay to take a step back when chasing a dream. Rest and recovery will get you three steps ahead. (Also known as, fall down seven times, stand up eight) 

7. Others will have opinions. Opinions of friends should be valued but it is still your decision.

8. Drinking is not any more fun than it was in college, just more expensive and tiring.

9. You do not always win, particularly with Olympians around. However, that does not mean you should not race.

10. There should be one moment every day that makes you stop in your tracks and realize how lucky you are.

1 comment: