Thursday, February 21, 2013

Another Spring, Another Collegiate Season

Well Lindsey Wilson, the traditional MWCCC opener is only a few days away. This finds me tying up loose ends and scrambling to get ahead in classes since I will be traveling the majority of the remaining weekends this semester.

Not only this but it has me putting together a small crate of stuff that will stay in the car for the remainder of the semester as well. Spare tires, tubes, cleats, handlebar tape, as well as other odds and ends to ensure that I won't be unable to race due to a small mechanical. A lot of this comes from the list of things that I brought to development camp, and subsequently watched get broken. With the collegiate races being so far away I have to make sure that I have everything I need, especially with no Dad around to fix whatever I might break.

The in car kit, complete with Luna bars and towels for the bikes!

I have always had the tendency to overpack for races, but no more so than Lindsey Wilson. First, it is the first race of the season so I still have't gotten my routine back. Second, the conditions can vary so much with the early morning TTT and the late afternoon RR and Crit. I typically bring four different gloves (liners, full finger with wind protection, thermal and basic full finger) and three different jackets. Yes this might be overkill, but I've also never not had the clothing I needed.

The IU Club Cycling team competes in a tough field. We have world ranked riders on the Marian team as well as a slew of scholarship and varsity programs that make up the conference. I remember the first year I raced showing up with my little Trek 1.2 (it still had reflectors) on the back of my mini van and being greeted by a the Marian tour bus. It was quite the eye-opener, but honestly that is what I love most about the collegiate season. It is such a vast array of people that come out to compete, and you see the same people every weekend, making for a tight-knit community.

This year I am going to be riding the newer bike (no reflectors), though I will still be driving my parents' minivan down to Kentucky, fixing my own mechanicals, and staying in a cabin with roughly thirty other racers from IU. Wish us luck!

The Lindsey Wilson Road Race Course.


No comments:

Post a Comment