Sunday, February 10, 2013

The Last Weekend

Apologies in advance for the length....

Some weeks I get my workouts from my coach and it is like Christmas morning, I feel overly excited to get on the road and start working. Other weeks I see it and mentally scream for a few minutes. Lucky for me this past week was more of a recovery week, so there was less screaming and more wrapping paper.

I'd been putting in a lot of miles over the past month, and with the racing season coming up things were starting to come together, so a rest week was much appreciated. Not only this but my workhorse bike was finally shifting properly thanks to the wonderful work of the mechanics at the Bicycle Garage (instead of me having to use my right hand to pull the shifter into the big ring). Thursday saw me heading out for a ride with Scholar's Inn Teammate Emma, and we ended up meeting up with her boyfriend Ryan from Upland. It was a longer ride than expected, but the 60 degree weather was gorgeous.

Emma on the phone planning a rendezvous with Ryan at the Bike Garage.

Friday had originally been planned as an interval workout, but after SCUBA I found myself really concerned about doing an interval workout the day before the planned IUCC race. Logically I knew that it was just a fun club race, but at the same time I had a lot of doubts of my own to put to rest and a lot of thoughts running around in my head keeping me up at night. Honestly, this is where I really appreciate my coach, Mark Fasczewski. I am still getting used to working with him (like telling him when things go wrong, or I get sick versus powering through it), but overall it has been great to have someone who is keeping track of the big picture and who can give little pep talks (or texts!). He moved some things around, and told me to get the worries out of my head. So instead of doing the intervals I headed out with girls from Cru, Melanzana and Teter for an easy spin.

Nothing like inner team unity for Little 500!

So, Saturday dawned bright an early. Lyndi and I went to the farmer's market and a few other errands before heading over to the gates to meet the rest of the IUCC women. Randi Cox helps organize this event for the club every year and it is a great chance to shake out the legs and put fears to rest. My stomach was doing flip flops and really not feeling great, so I was hoping it was just nerves and not something I ate at the farmer's market. There were roughly 20 women there though, and as we headed out to the Forest Loop everyone was in a cheerful mood. It was really great to see such a large turnout! 

Neutral roll out to Anderson.

Personally I could not have asked for a better practice race. I had one really strong attack and the rest of the time was able to comfortably postion myself in the pack, being more agressive than I used to be (something I have been working on). Honestly, the biggest success was the descent down Bean Blossom. Ever since my wreck at development camp I have had a hard time descending, let alone in larger groups. The fact that I did not freeze up was a huge step forward for me. As the pack came into the sprint I was lucky enough with my positioning and managed to take the final sprint, followed by Laura from Wing It, and then my teammate on IUCC/SIBH Emma! I know it is no final sprint against Marian, and that I have a lot of work to do still, but it was a nice reassurance that I am taking the right steps.

Sunday found me headed out in rainy weather with the SIBH ride. Given the weather conditions the pace was cordial, though I dropped off on the climb out of the causeway to do a few intervals. Halfway through I had the lovely joy of a leg cramp for the first time ever on my bike. Holy cow, I finally know what everyone hates so much about them. I managed to limp home in time for an Inter-team dinner with Teter, Melanzana, a rider from Air Force, and the rest of Cru. It has been really awesome to try and develop a group from different teams to start riding and hanging out with each other, especially from all different levels of riding.

Nothing like a free draft into the wind!

The fifteen girls in my living room.

This is one of my last full weekends home for the semester so it was nice to catch up with friends and get some good riding in. Collegiate season starts in two weeks, and I am more than ready!

Racing/Riding/Life Schedule:
Feb 15/16 - SCUBA Conference in Chicago
Feb 23/24 - Lindsey Wilson
Mar 2/3 - Depauw
Mar 8-11 - Chattanooga (training)
Mar 12-17 - Spring Break on the L5 Track
Mar 23/24 - Quals and Lindenwood
Mar 30 - Marian
Apr 6/7 - Michigan 
Apr 13/14 - Team Pursuit and Purdue
Apr 19-21 - Little 500 and Wisconsin

May 1-6 Utah for Collegiate Nationals and Graduation Trip!!!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment