Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Three Miles

I am a little over two months into my RCD diagnosis. Two months of not exercising, of complete breakdowns on my part and being a perfect case study for the negative side effects of steroids and immunosuppressants. I have seen more of the hospital than anyone ought to, and the nurses at this point know which fruit juice I prefer when I come in. It's a glamorous life.

Yet after today, I am a little farther from giving up than I was. Three miles to be exact. The three miles that I ran today and yesterday that reminded me what it feels like to breath and not worry. Cycling may be what I do to take some time for my thoughts, but running is where I go to not think, or at least not think about the usual things. On my bike I think about work, school, training plans for athletes I coach, my training plans and a myriad of other stressors. When I run I think about friendships, relationships, Colorado, puppies, sunshine and gumdrops. Happy things.

The last two days have been amazing and although it possibly landed me in the hospital (again), I have been given permission to start working out again. The doctor is skeptical that I will be able to do much, but the general opinion is that it might make things a bit easier on me mentally. I do not intend to push it, if only because I know the consequences.

Awhile back and before the diagnosis I signed up for a marathon (bucket list item) next May. I am not sure if this is on the table still but I have mapped out a semblance of a plan to get me from here to there.  It focuses a lot on cross training with my true love, the bike, which hopefully will put less wear on my immune system. However, my hopes are realistic at this point and I am accepting the fact that failure as I define it may be in my future.

I come off the current rounds of medicine in mid to late December and at that point we wait and see if my immune system resets itself properly. If so I go back to normal life with the continued gluten free diet that I've had for the last five years, and hope that this was all just a fluke. I do not want to get into what happens if it does not reset properly, but simply put it would mean an end to any long term training plans on the bike or in running.

So, wish me luck because my tires are back at 110 PSI, and my shoes have gotten pulled out from the depths of the closet. At this point every mile is a victory, and three is even better!



No comments:

Post a Comment